Thursday, March 1, 2012

The rights of people with disabilities in christian communities.

I found this article about people with disabilities in Kenya and how others mistreat them in their community especially in their Christian Communities.
Here is the link to the article:
http://dsq-sds.org/article/view/988/1164
I was shocked that people actually think that people with disabilities have been punish for some terrible deed(s) that their family has done and that they don't deserve to be close to God. Anyway read the article and see what you think.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that it is shocking to see that people actually look down on the disabled because they believe God is punishing them. Often, however, I find that when a somewhat disabling condition effects them later in life, they have a change of heart on their view. In the Bible it talks about the sins of the father passing down to the sons. This is what you see with abuse or alcoholism. Often the son will become the abuser that his father was. However! I have seen many people reverse the effects of living in an abusive home and become healthy functioning adults. So back to sin and disability...it is incorrect for these people to assume that the disabled are just that because of sin. Even in the Bible, one of Jesus followers asked him about a disabled man that they saw. The disciple asked what sin the man had committed to become disabled. Jesus said that the man's disability was for the glory of God, and He healed him. An example of this is the story of Joni Eareckson Tada. You can hear her story as she told it to Larry King on You Tube. To find it, just type in "Larry King Show-Joni Eareckson Tada story."

    ReplyDelete