Sunday, April 1, 2012

Why is being good to others a good thing?

There are many people who struggle with a foundational question to the human experience. Why does it matter if we are good to each other?  There is no one right answer to this question, and I think that's a good thing.
This question seems to be taken up by many different theologians and many many different philosophers over the ages. Jesus himself even tackled the question with the simple answer of: Do unto others as you would have do unto you. But that's not really an answer, more of an assertion.  Utilitarian philosophers would say that being good to others produces the most amount of good, and you should therefore do it. But that seems a bit shallow. It's as if we are only good to each other because we should, not because you want to.
So, why does being good to others matter?  Simple really, superheros.
No, stay with me on this, Superheros are the epitome of doing good to others. They're constantly saving the day despite their own faults and vulnerabilities for literally almost nothing. They aren't funded by the government, they aren't given any compensation for their good deeds, they just do it. Why? Because it's the right thing to do. It keeps them above the rest of us, on a different tier or humanity. They reach a god-like status with their good deeds. We are able to relate so well with superheros because we can see ourselves being like them. No, not saving people from burning buildings per say, but doing good deeds for others and asking nothing in return.
As an example from my own life: Recently I was made head of my kitchen at work, the servers all look to me to make sure their food gets out on time. I could, if I wanted to, spit in all their food and make it go out to the wrong tables, or leave it up in the window until it gets cold. But I don't, because I know that doing my job well makes their jobs easier, and that motivation keeps me on track. Yes, I get paid, unlike Spider-Man, but that's not the only reason I do it. I do it to keep the restaurant flowing because I like my work.
Now, I've given examples of how people can be good to each other, but why does it matter? So what, you say, you are good to others for what? A small thank you?  No, I'm good to others because I feel a sense of humanity when I'm good to others.  There's a rule in my kitchen: "If someone is whining in my kitchen, don't whine back...that makes two whiners which is bad."  When I don't whine and complain back to someone, then I feel proud of myself that I put myself above that. We as humans need to realize that we are better than animals. We can think more than a chimp, or even a dolphin for that matter. So, being mean to each other over stupid things is like two chimps fighting over a peanut, it doesn't get anyone anywhere. It leads to more people being upset than is necessary.
We, as humans, are able to put ourselves above animals, in the best way possible. To do this, we need to be good to each other, not put each other down.

3 comments:

  1. In accordance to the question, "Why is being good to others a good thing?" I agree in terms of breaking down the importance of being "good to others". However, I have some difficultly and/or concerns relating what it means to be good, to the superhero theory.
    People, ultimately, have a tendency to analyze the reasoning for why people do the things they do. How many super heroes’ do you know? What sets the benchmark in terms for who makes the cut and who doesn't? How do we compensate for the non-representative sample for which movies and novels perceive to make out what a 'good life' or 'superhero' entails?
    Yes, life is short and challenging and one can arguably make the best out of it through stories of hope. However, there are a vast number of people who do well for absolutely no reason at all, or out of so-called, "charity".
    I believe instead of trying to point out characteristics from a fictitious superhero to take on the role, we need to look at one another. After all, these are people making a difference in society.
    I'd be curious to see how you would address my concern that superheroes may be, shall I say, too far fetch from reality. Do you think that this extension of reality may be discouraging to some?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In response to the comment above, I think you make a good point that superheroes may be a little bit out of our league as sinful human beings. However, it is not impossible humans to believe that we have to the power to be more influential toward good than any superhero heretofore imagined. We have one perfect example of the greatest superhero there ever was: Jesus Christ. As mentioned in the original post, doing good contributes to our sense of humanity with each other. This is because humans are endowed with a rational soul that is capable of love. I would argue that this love for others is ultimately what should motivate good acts. While it is true that other incentives, such as a paycheck, social praise, or recognition, motivate humans to do good, I think it is important that we realize our deepest desires stem from our capacity to love. We desire happiness for each other and for ourselves because that is what we were created for. Superheroes are imagined by humans as a sort of example to strive to become. We aspire to be as good, to do as much good as these superheroes. In the same way, Christianity describes a way of life that mirrors the superhero of Jesus Christ. Christians aspire to live like Christ and do the good that he did on earth. What humans need to realize in today's era of destruction and grief is that we still all desire each others' happiness. After all, what was the first rule you learned in Kindergarten? That's right--the Golden Rule--Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. To become superheroes, we simply need to live this commandment fully with the intention of pouring out love on our fellow humans. Just to illustrate how important this basic idea of superheroism in societies across the world, here are the main tenets of major world religions cited from our textbook on page 259:

    Christianity: "In everything do to others as you would have them do to you; for this is the law and the prophets." (Matt 7:12)

    Islam: "None of you shall be true believers unless you wish for your brother the same that you wish for yourself." (Sunnatt)

    Judaism: "That which you do not wish for yourself you shall not wish for your neighbor. This is the whole law: the rest is only commentary." (Talmud, Shabbat 31)

    Taoism: "The successes of your neighbor and their losses will be to you as if they were your own." (T'ai-Shang Kan-Ying P'ien)

    Buddhism: "Do not offend other as you would not want to be offended." (Udanavarga 5:18)

    hinduism: "Everything you should do you will find in this: Do nothing to others that would hurt you if it were done to you." (Mahabharata 5:15-17)

    Confucianism: "Is there any rule that one should follow all one's life? Yes! The rule of the gentle goodness: That which we do not wich to be doen to us, we do not do to others." (Analectas 15:23)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your thinking on this subject. I agree completely. I have never thought that superheroes are the answer to this question but now that you say it, I agree. I think that all of humanity has this superhero quality deep down inside of them but it does not always show for various reasons. It could be that we are too busy to take time out of our busy day to help others out. This would be a really lame excuse. Everyone leads a busy life. What are five seconds going to change in your day to hold the door for someone or do another kind deed for someone? Nothing, it will just make the next person’s day a little better and you will feel better about yourself. We might think that we have to save the world and cure the world from hunger or disease to be a superhero but in reality it could be doing the littlest action that will make a person’s day great. We all feel good when we are good to others because we all share that same sense of humanity and we all want to do good deep down inside. Some us just have an easier time of showing it.

    ReplyDelete