The notion of social justice has become prevalent on Saint Louis University's campus during the past two years. Social Justice, in the form it takes, at Saint Louis University has taken a life of it's own, but stems from the original concept that was founded in regards to religion. The foundation of social justice focused on tolerance among religions. When individuals started to branch out from Christianity, people wondered, what is the point of talking to members of other religions? They figured all of their religions couldn't be correct. The idea of social justice has somewhat split into different types of social justice, as it did at Saint Louis University.
My freshman year at SLU, the racial tension of the university was horrible. There were several instances were racial slurs were directed towards African American students in direct and indirect fashion. After several town hall meetings and complaints, the university decided to make an effort to change the climate of the university. After all of these happenings, social justice became a priority to the university.
This is not to mean that the university did not care about social justice, but the horrid events that were occurring somewhat made the university take a strong stance on social justice. The university had to bring the social inequalities that were occurring on the campus to the top of their priority list.
Prejudice driven social inequalities were not the only ones that occurred at the university, but they were the most prevalent, reported and talked about.
The question I now ask is, why social justice matters at SLU. Social justice is important to SLU, because in order for us to truly be men and women for others, we have to adhere by a code of social equality. As a Jesuit University, there are certain standards the university has and strives to adhere, and social justice is one of them. We must not only tolerate others different than ourselves, but treat them how we would like to be treated.
The university was seriously lacking this in previous years and still has not achieved it completely, but it has taken a step forward in the race to achieve it. It reaches beyond the original ideology that it was founded on and strives to make a comfortable environment and shape us into productive men and women for others.
As a freshmen this year, I can honestly say I am shocked that in the past SLU has had problems with prejudice and racial tension. I don't mean that I don't believe it was there, but rather I am impressed that the school has made such progress in the last year. With groups like Interfaith Alliance and Astha a cappella that are all about diversity and combining culture I never would have thought there was any trouble with that on campus. I also find that fascinating because of the amount of diversity on campus. A significant percentage of our student population is foreign, mainly chinese and Indian as well as other Asian countries. Because of this, I also feel social justice is extremely important at this school. But, like you said, we still have a long way to go. We need clubs that reach out even farther. Unless I am mistaken, there is no club like Astha (which is aimed specifically at our Indian population) for other countries represented at SLU. Perhaps this is something we can make as a goal for the school next year.
ReplyDeleteSecondly, I'd like to add in my own thoughts about social justice at Saint Louis University. Like we have discussed in class, that term is thrown around all the time at SLU, but sadly I rarely see it in action. If this school wants to take a strong stance on social justice, I've always believed mandatory social work should be part of the graduation requirements. Social justice can't just be something encouraged or suggested that few students pursue. I believe that if we truly want Saint Louis University to be a symbol of social justice, we need to take an active approach to do what we can here in Saint Louis, where there is plenty to be done.
I would have to agree with Sam in the fact that I am surprised that social justice was such an issue for SLU only a few years ago. I am a freshman as well, and I feel like SLU has done a very good job of emphasizing the importance of social justice. Since the first day I became a billiken, SLU has introduced their views on social justice and the need for it on campus. This is especially evident in the Oath of Inclusion campaign. I am impressed with the amount of effort that SLU has put into making the campus more connected. Those people who are working on the campaign have done an excellent job of spreading the word because I see plaques all over campus and those little “Live the Oath” pins are on many peoples’ backpacks. These remind me about what the Oath stands for and challenge me to incorporate it into my life.
ReplyDeleteSLU also attempts to highlight the importance of social justice by coordinating Make a Difference Day and Showers of Service. These events give students a taste of community service and shows how important it is to the university. After I attended these events, I am planning on joining APO next semester. I know that there is more to social justice than community service, and it does not make up for the incidences of discrimination that occur on campus. But at least it gets students to begin thinking about issues that are outside their own little world. This is where change begins. Yes, I think SLU needs to put more emphasis on social justice and inclusion. Mandatory social service would certainly increase SLU’s image as a symbol of social justice, but would people actually see the need for change if they felt like they were being forced into it? I think that SLU is doing a quality job of raising the issues that are present and if they continue on this track, there will be a great increase in the desire for social justice among college students.
I agree with all three of you guys, I am in my second year here at SLU so i am experiencing the changes that SLU is making. I have heard of the racial problems from the earlier years because i had a family member that went to SLU. I believe that SLU itself as a school has made a huge effort to show the importance of social justice but as the for the students at SLU, many havn't made that step forward to having an equal mindset for ALL of SLU students. Many have to remember that that is the school's mission when they enroll. I appreciate all the different groups that SLU has provided for equality for their students, its just up to the students to hold their own and realize that social justice is important and that they should take part in it.
ReplyDelete